Saturday, September 26, 2009

I've Got the Best Birthday Ever

I think Grandpa's birthday is the only birthday that I ever remember every year. That might be coincidence or because it's the same day as my birthday (give or take a couple of years), and I love that. This year for my birthday I wanted to do what I wanted to do. People kept making suggestions for things to do, and I almost agreed to a lot of them. I actually did agree and then changed my mind. We finally decided to go out and get fried rice and then go bowling, both things that I wanted to do. I wanted the day to be all about me, and it was.

Thinking back on that now, I feel a little selfish. I called Grandpa around noon to wish him happy birthday and asked him what he was going to do. He told me that Tammy's family and Brandon's family were going to come over for a nice dinner. I asked if they were going to do anything fun and have a party with everyone, and he told me no party just dinner. Then he started telling me about how someone else's birthday (I think Jet's) was on Saturday and how Braelen's baptism was this weekend too. Thinking back on it the next day, I realized that's just the kind of person grandpa is. On Friday all I could think about was myself and how I wanted the day to be about me. But grandpa, all he could think about was making the day not about him. Making it a day about family and a weekend to celebrate the accomplishments and days for the people he loves most. And I think most of my favorite memories about grandpa are similiar to that; he loves his kids, his grandkids, and his great grandkids. It shows in every move he makes.

And that's why I love grandpa.

Brit

No comments: